Many people have to use wheelchairs all the time to move around because of some reasons. Sitting hours on the wheelchair can be painful. With the use of some useful ways, it is possible to make the sitting experience comfortable for the wheelchair user. There are specialized wheelchair pressure relief cushions available in the market that can be used along with other accessories for comfortable use. These are specially designed cushions that are available in different sizes to remove pressure on the back while sitting.
Reason to Purchase Wheelchair Cushions
People who spend their maximum time on wheelchair need some ways to stay comfortable. The wheelchair pressure relief cushions are designed for providing relief for sitting for long hours. There is a different range of such cushions available from various manufacturers as per the need of the users.
- The main aim of putting the cushions on the wheelchair is to provide maximum comfort to the user while sitting for long hours.
- There is a risk of skin breakdown also known as pressure ulcers that can occur to the person who sits for longer period of time on the wheelchair. With the use of pressure relief cushions, the pressure can be managed effectively. There are many soft as well as therapeutic cushions which offer different levels of comfort to all the users.
- The person can sit in the proper position when they have some good support from the cushions. The stability of the user can be increased too when the cushions are placed on the wheelchair.
Types of Cushions to Choose for Better Health
- Air flotation wheelchair cushions: These cushions are filled with air and with proper air pressure it is possible to offer effective positioning. Although the cushions do not offer enough stability and positioning as compared to others, but still it is the best in providing high pressure relief to the patients. These can be adjusted as per users movement for exceptional comfort. The light weight cushions are very low in maintenance as they can develop leaks quite easily.
- Gel wheelchair cushions: The cushions have viscous gel pouches that is affixed to the high density foam base which allows the pressure to distribute equally. Exceptional pressure relief can be obtained using this cushion which reduces skin breakdown to high level. Along with better blood circulation, these cushions regulates body temperature reducing sweat formation. Get high stability and positioning with the expensive cushions.
- Foam wheelchair cushions: The foam used for the cushions are cheap and are available in different densities. For best stability and comfort as well as skin protection, the high density foam can be chosen. The multiple layers on the contoured base allow distribution and weight properly. The cushions offer medium positioning but the pressure relief. Even with high maintenance, the foam wears out soon and has to be replaced immediately.
Along with the three kinds mentioned above, you can also find cushions like the Urethane honeycomb wheelchair cushions, comfort wheelchair cushions, and Bariatric wheelchair cushions.
Selecting the Cushions
It is very important to consider the requirement before choosing the right wheelchair pressure relief cushions. You have to take into account the factors like high sitting stability, positioning, pressure management, and comfort before finding the right cushion. Due to sitting for long hours on wheelchair you need to look for high pressure relief feature along with comfort.
You must look for the right size of cushion that will match the size of the seat of the wheelchair. Life is really very difficult for people confined to wheelchair. To make the experience comfortable it is important to get some pressure relief cushions for them. Wheelchair back cushion, cushion protectors, wheelchair adaptive cube pads cushion covers etc. can be purchased too for them to experience enhanced sitting experience on the wheelchair.