Do you like drones? Right now, drones are one of the fascinating technologies in the market. Everyone wants their hand at a drone. You can fly around a drone in places. Take photos of lakes, parks or whatever you want with your drone. Drones are easy to control with a remote. Having a flying a drone is useful in some cases.
However, many people get the idea that they can do whatever they want with a drone. I mean yes, it is your drone, but you have to follow some rules. There are some restrictions on flying around your drone.
In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about flying drone safely.
Understand your responsibility
At first, you must understand that the drone is your responsibility. Hence, you must make sure that no one uses your drone to break the rules.
There are many rules that a drone owner must follow before flying a drone. You must understand that flying a drone is fun, but it is dangerous as well. If you fly your drone carelessly, it could damage the device. In the end, it could fall on someone’s property or a person. That could be harmful to the people.
What are the FAA and AUVSI?
FAA stands for Federal Aviation Administration and AUVSI Association for Unmanned Vehicle System international. Once the organizations came to realize that flying drones could be harmful to people. They took the first step to set up some regulations for flying drones and started ” Know before you fly”. The entire campaign makes sure that people are aware of safety from flying drones.
At first, you must know that the rules may vary in different countries. In order to know what are the rules in your country, you will need to google them.
The rules for flying a Drone according to FAA and AUVSI
In order to make sure that drone flying is safe for everyone, the FAA has set some rules that everyone must follow. In the following paragraph, you can read the basic rules to make sure that you can fly drones safely.
- You must obtain a license before flying a drone.
- The drone owner should be at least 16 years old.
- You cannot fly a drone until you receive a remote pilot certificate, or at least fly a drone under supervision of someone who holds a remote pilot certificate.
- When flying a drone, it must avoid all sorts of aircraft at all cost.
- Drones cannot fly near airports.
- Drones have speed limitations, the maximum speed a drone can achieve is 100mph.
- The maximum height drones can reach is 400 feet. In case, someone is flying the drone on a tall building, the height restriction starts from that height to 400 feet above.
- When you are flying a drone, it must be on your sight all the time. Pick a place that gives a clear view of your drone. So, you can see where it is flying. Never let it out of your sight.
- In case if you are using First-person view technology, you need an additional observer who will keep an eye on your mini aircraft all the time.
- In a similar situation when an additional observer is watching the vehicle. You and the observer can watch only one drone at a time.
- Drones cannot fly in the dark. It must be set free in the air when there is daylight. If you are flying during twilight there must be extra anti-collision lighting for safety.
To be specific drones can fly around 30 minutes earlier than sunrise and 30 minutes later than sunset.
- Drones can carry objects as long as the total weight of the drone and the object is less than 55 lbs.
- If you have a drone that weighs more than 250 grams then you must register the drone with the FAA.
You cannot fly a drone if you are on a moving vehicle yourself. However, this rule is not mandatory is the user is on a crowdy area.
- Drones cannot fly above anyone except when:
The person is participating in drone operation
The person is sitting on a shaded vehicle
The person is under some shelter
Some of the rules may not apply to all drone owners. Under those circumstances, you can contact the FAA, to get the rules waiver for you. But there is no guarantee that you will get the rules off from you. One way to do this is to ensure them that your drone flying time will be safe for everyone even without those rules.
Now that you have read the rules you must understand that you have to collect a certificate and license to fly a drone. If you want to get a remote pilot certificate, then you can apply for one at FAA.
Receive Remote pilot certificate from FFA
The FFA gives the remote pilot certificate in two ways. First, if you already have a Part 61 (non-student certificate) or you have to apply for a written test.
How to get a permanent certificate with Part 61 certificate?
At first, if you have a Part 61(non-student) certificate, you can get a temporary certificate right away after application.
If other people want a temporary certificate, they will have to wait until their papers are checked thoroughly before they get a temporary certificate. The FAA authority says it takes around 10 days to complete the verification and issue a temporary certificate.
On the other hand, if you don’t have the Part 61 certificate you can sit for a written test at the testing center of the FAA.
In the paragraph above are the basic rules of how to fly a drone safety. There are additional rules and you have to search them on the internet to find out. The UAS (Unmanned Aircraft System) is bringing classes for people. So, they can learn how to fly drone’s safety. In addition to the rules above, there are also rules to photo taken by a drone. Find out all the rules before you get a drone and fly it safely across the sky. Keeping it safe in the neighborhood is our responsibility. Especially if we want to fly a mini aircraft in the surroundings for any reason.